28 February, 2008

Forumwarz

Okay, so no screenshots for this one as it's not safe for work (mostly for the text, but there are also a few offensive pictures). Forumwarz is a web RPG, somewhat similar to my old friend Kingdom of Loathing. But whereas KoL was somewhat standard RPG, Forumwarz so closely mimics "internet reality" that it's a little disorienting at first. You chat with and receive email from imaginary people (just like the real internet) and fight pointless flamewars on message boards (ditto). Also, like KoL, you only get so many turns per day, so there's no threat of it becoming a life destroyer.

Okay, but the gameplay is really pretty fundamental. The key is the content. It's not for the young or easily offended as Forumwarz basically takes you to the yuckiest parts of the internet. It's something of a paradox. I've seen and heard enough about the memes mentioned to find them hilarious, yet I'm sure I'm also missing some jokes and can't decide if I'm happy or sad that I don't know all of the worst parts of the internet. :P

Anyway, it gave me a very good laugh, so I thought it deserved a plug. Actually, I was somewhat outraged that something so hilarious was released almost three weeks ago, and I'm just finding out about it now. Play through until level 3 and see what you think.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Thanks for the shout out! Glad you dig it.