03 February, 2008

About the Last Few Days

I attended a funeral and put together a new PC. See? Simple.

With how much the gaming business is centered around the consoles these days, I felt a little odd about buying a PC, but I can get mods and indie games without having the wait for lengthy approval processes or, heaven forbid, pay money. The PC's status as an open platform means the most interesting stuff will generally start there. Plus I still enjoy the occasional LAN party and didn't like being the guy who had to bum a spare computer to play the modern games.

Here are the specs, for those who are big on specs.

CPU: AMD X2 5600
RAM: 2GB
Graphics: EVGA 8800GT w/ 512MB RAM
OS: WinXP Home
HDD: .5TB 7200RPM 8MB
Case: Sonata 3
DVD: Samsung S203B

It's certainly not the highest end available, but it's pretty close to the price / performance sweet spot, and I won't need a bunch of new drivers.

Plus it makes my games look like this (click to enlarge).

Which is pretty cool.

No comments: