07 January, 2008

TIGS freeware awards (cont.)

My impressions of the games on The Independant Gaming Sources best freeware games of 2007 continue.

Ninjah


The Pitch: Traverse levels with your jump, grapple line, and hover gun, touching only whatever color terrain you've attuned yourself to.

My Opinion: It's a mostly fun action puzzler similar to N. Those types of games are always a difficult balancing act as if they're too puzzly, they bog down and lose the action. If they're too actiony, people without twitch reflexes won't be able to play them. Ninjah lets you choose your own level of difficulty by letting you shift the action into slomo for especially tricky parts. You won't have a great completion time for the level, but you will be able to complete it and move on. The last real level (49) is a notable exception slowing the pace of the game unacceptably, and I didn't bother to finish it.

Polychromatic Funkmonkey


The Pitch: Build bridges in the air.

My Opinion: Don't bother. It's tedious.

The Jeluvian Project
is hosted on a download site so slow, my children will have to write the review.

Mr. Blocko
It must be great in multiplayer because single was a big fat sack of "who cares".

Trilby: The Art of Theft


The Pitch: Conduct daring robberies.

My Opinion: I generally hate stealth games, and this is not an exception. I don't have the patience for them, unless being stealthy feels cool, which, for all the fedoras and suits, it doesn't in this game. Also the difficulty ramp near what I assume to be the end of the game was no fun at all. And this is from the guy who completed Hitman 2 on the highest possible difficulty on a machine that couldn't maintain a consistent frame rate. Of course, I had more time on my hands back then. :)

Cottage of Doom


The Pitch: Barricade yourself in a cabin while fending off a never ending stream of zombies.

My Opinion: Meh. The barricading holds off the zombies, but since points are only scored for comboing kills, it feels pretty pointless, especially since it's sometimes difficult to hit a zombie, even at point blank range.

Portal: The Flash Version


The Pitch: It's Portal, only 2D.

My Opinion: It's better than Portal, up until the point where the maps get overly complicated.

Powder Game


The Pitch: Play with various materials. Watch the dots dance.

My Opinion: While more of a toy than a game, I spent about an hour just playing around with powder, seed, water, and magma.

MinishoterRS


The Pitch: Super low res shooting action.

My Opinion: Super awesome! Hahaha. You get to lay waste to hordes of bad guys as a flying ghost cat! Plus, on easy, the last boss was the perfect speed of bullet hell that I had to dodge like crazy, but didn't take hits. That was so fun.

Plasma Warrior


The Premise: Download the wiped out colony's computer records.

My Opinion: It's like super lightweight Metroid. Some of the sound effects were a little grating, but overall I really enjoyed this one. Old school looks without the old school punishment.

Whew! That was a lot of games. It's amazing what I'll do to avoid Rise of Nations. :P

No comments: