10 January, 2008

More Keepalive: Sony's Year?

I'm thinking about picking up an Xbox (not a 360). I have a couple old games that seemed unique enough that I needed to see them (Stranger's Wrath and Breakdown), and Microsoft apparently believes they can rest on their compatibility laurels, now that Sony has completely abandoned backwards compatibility for the most popular home console of all time. :P

Also, I was interested to hear the 1UP podcast crew predicting that 2008 will be Sony's year. They think Metal Gear Solid 4 will get the hardcore to buy it, and the Home service and Little Big Planet will appeal to broader audiences.

I'm curious about MGS4. I played the original on PS1. I enjoyed it. I played MGS2 on PS2. I was bored and frustrated. Then some cut scenes came up that were so far fetched that if John Woo saw them in a dream he'd throw up his hands and say "Never in a million years!" That was the end of the Metal Gear series for me. I've heard good things about the fourth game, but people liked the second one too, so I generally don't believe them. They are saying that the arcane controls are getting a revamp, so that may be good. But I still don't see how MGS4 is going to move lots of PS3s. Some, sure, but considering MGS2 eventually made its way to the 360, I don't know if you'll have that many fanatics willing to shell out $460 for the game.

As for Home and Little Big Planet, yeah, those games along with Ratchet and Clank will give the PS3 more casual appeal. But without a casual price, how will they move units? It's a year in and the PS3 is still $100 away from the launch price of the PS2. I are confused.

No comments: