19 January, 2008

Done Enough

I'm declaring my co-op level done. I'm never satisfied, so there's always half a dozen more things I'd like to add or tweak or redesign, but it's time to let go. The map plays decently and I learned a lot about ZDoom.



Some of it was disappointing. Did you know that monsters on patrol don't respond to gunfire? I would think that investigating gunfire would be exactly the kind of thing one would institute patrols for. I'm tempted to look up the etymology of the word, just to make more pithy comments.

I was hoping to be able to very cleverly use patrol points to give DooM monsters custom AI. My intent was to make it so that if the monster lost sight of a player, I would make them forget they ever saw her, place a path node at the player's last known location, and have the monsters make a bee line for it. If the player made any attacks, the monsters would hear and come running. There are so many problems with that idea, I don't even know where to begin, and it's not of general interest. So customized monster AI is out.

So what's next on the agenda? A nap. But after that, it's time to work on a weapon.

Toodles!

No comments: