24 June, 2010

First Impressions: BioShock 2

written by Blain Newport on Thursday, 24 June, 2010

BioShock 2 on hard is kind of hard. But it's not fun hard. It's more "lots of unavoidable damage" hard. As long as I'm fighting smaller enemies, it's fine. But fighting the larger monsters just sucks. Even with a speed upgrade I'm pretty slow, and I don't have many tools this early on, so there are many occasions where I have very few options. When there is terrain to take advantage of, it feels like I'm winning by exploiting the AI instead of having a good fight. I'm guessing normal difficulty will make it more fun.

As for everything else, it's BioShock. It's watery. It's spooky. This time it's about collectivism instead of objectivism, but the game exaggerates and distorts the philosophies so much it's hard for me to take it seriously.

No comments: