13 October, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This post was an hour and a half late.

Wandering to the furthest northeast corner of the map, I came upon a compound of a few building surrounded by a chain link fence. A child let me enter, and I went to see the person in charge.



This is Dave. Dave's father was a king. Back then this place was known as the Kingdom of Tom. Dave claims to have "freed" the people from the wrath of Tom, and now it's the Republic of Dave. Did he kill his own father? Dave's son doesn't seem to think so.



He made it sound like a suspiciously cordial revolution. Why would Dave vilify his own father?



Ah. Daddy wouldn't let him take multiple wives. This Republic stuff is looking more and more like a scam. They even have a school to indoctrinate the children into the glories of Dave.



This didn't seem right, so I went outside and sat on a bench next to the playground. I thought I looked pretty scary with my assault rifle and hockey mask, staring at the swing set.


Apparently the little girl with the bow in her hair was unimpressed.



Now she's staring at me! Make her stop!


After the little girl stopped scaring me, I put some more thought into the Dave situation and decided to mess with the space / time continuum (save my game) to test the boundaries a little. Dave's first wife used to be a caravan leader. She seemed to have some actual leadership ability. So I rigged the election for her. Dave got so upset that he simply left the compound. Feeling somewhat responsible, I accompanied him on his journey, protecting him from a couple rad scorpions along the way. Eventually he set up the New Republic of Dave in the middle of Old Olney. With the Deathclaws roaming around, I guessed he'd survive all of three hours until nightfall.

Admittedly, his own hypocrisy and corruption would be to blame, but I still didn't feel right about it. I loaded the old game and let the election happen as planned. I guess I'd gone soft.

Next Time: Some Random Stuff and a Terrible Secret

No comments: