30 August, 2009

PAX 2009: Meetup

written by Blain Newport on Saturday, August 29, 2009

I hit save instead of publish, so this post was six hours late.

Whew. It was hot today. I usually wouldn't care about that, but the restaurant we ended up in wasn't air conditioned. Yikes. And the reason we went to a non air conditioned place was because the Round Table Google sent me to doesn't exist any more. :P

Plus there was freeway construction and bad detour signs. I felt pretty guilty, driving up to a bunch of nerds standing in a hot parking lot around twenty minutes late. Luckily, VonXWolfenstein had a nice internet phone to look up a fallback restaurant. And thanks to donated materials from Prof. Pangloss and CaptainTapole, we put together signs to help any late comers find us.

At the restaurant with no air conditioning. Yikes. I took a shower before I left. I took another when I got home.



Overall, I think people had fun. Lots of geeky subjects were discussed and we had a good range of people. (My spelling may be wrong as some of the names I only heard aloud.)

CaptainTapole - Our only returning member from last year (besides me). She was annoyed with me for obvious reasons. I think we're cool, though. She still gave me bonus buttons. :)

Cerrato0426
- Brought his Chico crew of brand new PAXers, is looking forward to the Street Fighter IV tournament, and wrote up a nice review of the event in the forum thread that I appreciated.

Dan - Dan shares the name of my favorite Street Fighter character. He's been playing Disgaea. And he mentioned other things I should remember, but I'm a horrible person. Sorry Dan.

Dillon - He's a Halo man and Major League Gamer. He also read the jokes off the back of a container of string cheese to keep the other Chico folks entertained on the long drive down. They're all driving together for ten hours to get to PAX. That's a lot of string cheese.

Jonathon - Despite playing Batman and Shadow Complex most recently (and looking forward to Bayonetta at PAX), he's mostly into RPGs. He's obviously well rounded. And he had a cool Jack Kirby era Marvel t-shirt.

Khadre - My fellow Rosevillian, Kadre will be going as an exhibitor for space MMO EVE Online and playing board games after the exhibition hall closes.

Prof. Pangloss
- Is wealth of information on things geeky, and can expound upon them at length. He could wear a mortarboard. :)

Upthorn - Could keep pace with Pangloss better than anyone at the table. I'll be checking out Six String Samurai and giving yet another chance to Babylon Five on his advice.

VonXWolfenstein - Another Chico person who just happened to be down in Sac to pick up her mom from the airport. She brought a clever Twilight hating button to trade. :)

No comments: