10 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, August 9, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

Having felt that I'd accomplished enough downtown, I decided to explore some more near Grayditch. There weren't so many map markers in the area, but there was a surprising amount of weird stuff out there. On my previous explorations I'd seen some empty cages on the freeway. I guess I'd just been there at the wrong time of the week because this time they weren't empty.



Yep. Raiders were holding giant mutant mole rat races. I could have broken it up and killed them all. Raiders are evil, after all. But it was too charming.

As I continued on, I met these two similar looking gentlemen.



Then they told me they were looking for some place called Oasis, which I'd already heard of and even gotten coordinates to. They were planning to go loot the place and didn't want to share, so they committed suicide by attacking me. (It's a leading cause of self-inflicted death.)

I explored a sewer system near me and was surprised to find out it was connected to a teddy bear manufacturing facility. Apparently someone with a sense of humor had been through.



My looting instinct kicked in for a second, but I quashed it. This was art, and should be left for the next person to enjoy.

Yes, I know it's a single player game. I'm role-playing.



Shut up.




Speaking of art, I also came upon the sewer lair of a ghoul named Gallo. The game called him evil, but I didn't feel like killing him. He had a really nice lair and wore a party hat. He seemed like a guy I might like if he was less homicidal. And judging him too harshly for being homicidal seemed like a pot / kettle situation. Plus his stash was a masterpiece.



Just look how organized. I can tell you, having explored upwards of 90% of the game that this is the prettiest collection of crafting materials in the entire capitol region. Because of my respect for Gallo and this work of art, I once again resisted my looting urge and let it be.

I then encountered the reverse situation where I found a piece of art that I would have preferred to obliterate, but it was a non-interactive decoration.



This was decorating the wall of a Talon Company outpost. Confirmed: Talon Company eats babies. :P

Next Time: Strange Diet

No comments: