20 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, July 19, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.



This is the Dunwich Building. Lovecraft readers will recognize the name. Journeying through the building, you find recordings of someone who, while searching for a lost companion, is going slowly insane. It's creepy, as were the feral ghouls that filled the building. But by this point, I was creepier.



No more friendly security guard helmet. Now it's crazy slasher movie hockey mask. There's a lot of different head gear in the game, but the hockey mask never degrades, so I don't have to think about it.

After clearing out Dunwich, I kept exploring and found another Vault (Vault 106). This was exciting. I might meet other people like me!

Ooh. I probably wouldn't have responded too well to some armed guy in a hockey mask knocking on the door.

I only had one change of clothes on me, and they were still kind of unsettling, but I figured they were less likely to get me shot. And as it turned out, my garb was actually too appropriate.



Blood stains. Something's very wrong here. As I moved through 106, I read computer records indicating that Vault Tec had decided to test some sort of airborne chemical on the poor souls down here. Eventually I came into contact with some of them. VATS named them Insane Survivors. They tried to attack me with bats and knives. I shot them. And I felt pretty good about wearing my environment suit. I was protected.

Then everything turned blue.



Yeah. I guess the designers never accounted for anyone wearing an environment suit. So I was going crazy too. In the end, the solution was just to kill everyone, which was a little disappointing. But the part where I hallucinated that the punks that bullied me back in Vault 101 were attacking me and I got to shoot them was entertainingly bizarre.

I always made sure to let enemies attack and damage me before shooting them. I had a horrible premonition that I might snap out of a blue episode and discover I'd killed an innocent. My overthinking made this section of the game much more interesting than it actually was.

Next time: Nesting Instinct

No comments: