09 May, 2009

Review: Phantom Dust

written on Saturday, May 9, 2009

Full Disclosure: I'm at the final boss fight, but I think it's safe to call it here.

The going gets tough near the end of Phantom Dust. There was one fight where I had to take on two heavily armed opponents by myself, and I had to use a special power that only works on opponents on the ground, so I had to survive long enough to take one of them out of the equation, knock one down with enough energy left over to execute the ground attack, and survive to win the fight. There were other difficult fights in the home stretch, but that was the worst. Although it must be said, when I stunned the last guy with his own attack, waited for his Aura to regenerate just enough so that my Aura Backflow attack would knock him over but not kill him, and finished him off with the required ground attack, it was gratifying.

I've built three decks so far. The third one is really just for messing around with. By and large my two main decks haven't changed significantly in a long time. This is partly from information overload.

I've got 250+ powers to choose from. I'd definitely spend more time doing it, if it wasn't such a pain. Having to back out of a fight, run down to the card machine, and then dealing with the giant wall of powers is just too much. As it is I just keep buying new cards, pondering what kind of deck they'd do well in, then forgetting I ever bought them.

But it's a very well made game. I only wish it'd gotten a sequel so it could have been refined even further.

4 of 5

Oh. I almost forgot. The story is worthless tripe with cardboard cutout characters and no real point. In other words, it's a video game. :P

No comments: