02 May, 2009

Keepalive: theHunter, Cryostasis Demo

written on Saturday, May 2, 2009

I spent some more time with theHunter. As podcast listening games go, it's very nice. Apparently your abilities level up. I am now level two at tracking mule deer, which seems to mean mule deer leave many more tracks than they used to. I still only saw one deer and it was female. But there were lots more deer sign to catalog. I wonder if I will ever fire my gun.



I also played a demo for Cryostasis. It's a first person shooter set on a frozen ship. Your warmth is your health, so you regenerate your health by turning on lights and heaters and ovens and warming yourself by them. And you often come across bodies where you jump back in time to play a pivotal moment in their past. If you play it right, they don't die and the body disappears, allowing forward progress.

Novel ideas aside, the combat is pretty terrible. Many of the crewmen have come back as zombies. But it's always the same three zombies, so it breaks the sense of place. I kept wishing it was more like Penumbra, which mostly skipped combat altogether.



In the interest of completeness (and never having to talk about the game again), the graphics were pretty and the frame rate sucked.





I downloaded a demo for Zeno Clash, a first person brawler set in a completely bizarre fantasy world. We'll see if it can top Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

No comments: