25 May, 2009

Keepalive: Killing Floor, Space Invaders Extreme, Plants Vs Zombies

written on Monday, May 25, 2009

This post was 15 minutes late.

I've been dinking around with some of the Killing Floor servers that allow extra players. Take this picture, for instance.

There are eight players in it. That's only two more than normal. But there are forty on the server, so every street in the map looks like this. And if you look in the top right corner, you can see that there are 204 monsters that need killing in this level. They don't all spawn at once or the server would crash, but some servers have it set up so that there can be 64 monsters in there with forty or fifty players. It's not my preferred way to play, but it was interesting to see.

Space Invaders Extreme is an updated version of the 1978 game. It just came out on Xbox Live Arcade, but I picked up a used copy on DS. It's always weird to get someone else's save game, especially on a game like this where you can't actually erase it and start fresh. Luckily, the previous owner really didn't like the game and only cleared the first two stages. I, conversely, find it charming. It's definitely built as a portable game. Stages are very short. You get a fresh three lives every stage. Shooting the UFOs that wander by can open mini-games or a roulette bonus game. There are simple power ups. I'll probably be able to finish the thing and write it up tomorrow or the next day.

I'm not playing much Plants Vs Zombies. There are still a couple achievements I haven't gotten, so I may go back for them. But there's not really a point to playing the game. There could be. They can definitely still add new plant types, add different types of missions, etc. I'll look forward to the sequel. But I think I've farmed the original for about as much fun as I can.

No comments: