03 May, 2009

Demo Impressions: Free Realms

written on Sunday, May 3, 2009

I keep not doing what I plan to be doing lately. Instead of trying out Zeno Clash, I tried out Free Realms, a Sony free MMO, mostly for kids.


There are many jobs in the game, each with different outfits. Here's the mining (prospector) garb.


When you click on some ore, you play the mining mini-game. There are a pile of different professions in the game. From cooking, to mining, to go-kart racing, there's a lot to do.


Once you've got the ore and take it back to the smelter (or stove for cooking) you play a more involved, multi-step mini-game to create the finished goods. There's not much depth to these games, but they work. I kept feeling like I should be holding a Wiimote, instead of a mouse, to play them. :)


There is combat in the game, but I've generally found it less interesting than the other games.

It also took about five hours of play before I was running into subscriber only quests left and right. I suppose I could have tried doing the lower level stuff in more careers, but some entire careers (e.g. archery) are subscriber only. The mini-games actually take some effort to play well, and give the player more to do than the combat in many MMOs. If the "subscribers only" reminders didn't make me feel so unwelcome, I could probably have wasted a week or so in Free Realms.

No comments: