25 April, 2009

Game Journal: GTA: Chinatown Wars

written on Saturday, April 25, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

After multiple failed attempts, I finally hijacked an Ammu-Nation truck. It had some assault rifle ammo in it. With as much money as I have, the Ammu-Nation trucks appear to be a complete waste of time.

The warehouse robberies I've just unlocked aren't much better. I can now go to the headquarters of the Spanish Lords and raid their warehouse. But so far all I've stolen from them is drugs. Not only that, but it's the same amount of drugs I'd get from simply hijacking a delivery van, which is roughly a hundred times safer. But no, I have to hack the gate, kill half a dozen guys, hot-wire the van, fight off three gang cars, four police cars, two SWAT vans, and a police helicopter, all for five bags of weed (approx. street value $50). What on earth was the game designer thinking?

Outside of giving a little extra flavor, both of the activities I took on today were useless additions to the game. They were wastes of my time to perform, and wastes of the programmers' time to implement. I just don't get it.

It's not like these things had to be failures. The Ammu-Nation truck could have just given me a respectable amount of ammo for all my existing weapons, or one weapon I'm not supposed to have yet. Robbing the warehouse could have provided some cash or guns or a greater quantity of drugs commensurate with the risk involved. That would have made these activities fun things to do when I'm feeling crazy / badass. As it is, only chumps (or people forced to by mission objectives) would ever bother. *sigh*

No comments: