25 February, 2009

Game Journal: Devil May Cry

written on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

Devil May Cry still rocks.

I played up through the second boss. Even when I died, the fights were so cool I didn't care.

There's a mandatory "cooling off period" the game enforces by putting the boss at the end of a level. You don't just fight the boss over and over. You go through the level again, then fight the boss. In lesser games this might be irritating. In Devil May Cry it's a time to pause and reflect and soak up some atmosphere.

And the atmosphere is still great. Sure, the graphics aren't as fancy as later era PS2 games, but the game still looks pretty great to me. Sometimes even those camera angles that make some fights so broken really click and I'm just caught up in how awesome everything looks.

And for those who care, I'm using the starting weapons again. The more powerful ones are fun. (You can look like a total badass knocking a group of bad guys around with slow, powered up Ifrit gauntlet attacks.) But I like to keep things simple and a bit more challenging.

No comments: