09 October, 2008

Game Journal: Odin Sphere (Errata)

THIS POST CONSISTS ENTIRELY OF GAMEPLAY AND STORY SPOILERS FOR ODIN SPHERE

I didn't want to, but I went back to look at the manual for the game. I don't like manuals because they often contain spoilers, and Odin Sphere was no exception.

But in addition to spoilers, it explained elements of the combat that maybe would have helped a bit. There are low piercing attacks for knocking people down. I knew about these, but they took up so much "Pow" that I used them sparingly. Perhaps I could have made hit and run attacks more reliable, but I swear I still took retaliatory hits when using piercing attacks.

There are overhead attacks for knocking down fliers. I rarely had much trouble with fliers but I always felt like a dork jumping up and using air attacks just to pick apples. :P

And finally, it bears putting down in writing that this game is not woman friendly. Gwendolyn just swings from one man to another, and many of the female characters are comically attired and / or endowed. The final boss in the first campaign (Death) is a huge skeletal woman. The only apparent skin on her entire body is on her face and her giant, mostly exposed, breasts. You have to work pretty hard to be that sleazy.

No comments: