24 September, 2008

Game Journal: Fallout 1

Welcome to the story of Spacek, the sissy. It's my first time through Fallout and I'm playing a character with zero combat ability. That's almost literal. Her strength and endurance are both 1, and her agility is 2. On the plus side, her perception is 8, her charisma and intelligence are 9, and her luck is 10. I figured trying to get by in an irradiated wasteland full of monsters on her public speaking skills was going to require a lot of luck.

Her beginnings were... not promising. She was killed by the first rat outside of Vault 13. It really doesn't get worse than that, does it. Once I'd successfully escape the vault, though, things were a little better. I got to run away from bigger monsters.

I also discovered a nearby town and junk yard on the way to Vault 15. Everyone in town said to go talk to the town leader, but I could never find the guy. Maybe he only comes out during the daytime. I continued on to Vault 15. There was a mutant wombat guarding the place, so I ran away. The people in town had told me about some other towns, so I went exploring. This was where my luck paid off. I had a random encounter, but this time, with no monsters. Instead there was a crushed guy in a Godzilla footprint. He was carrying an invisibility device. Moving on to Junk Town I used my superior intellect to get the local crime boss to admit to an attempt on the sheriff's life. (It was totally entrapment, but this is Junk Town justice. :) Then, using the invisibility device, I got out of the way while the sheriff and his deputy cleaned up the crime boss and his henchman. All of this got me enough XP to advance to level 2.

So far, the brain over brawn path seems viable. I'll keep you apprised.

And yes, Wayne, I'm playing with Bloody Mess. :)

No comments: