20 August, 2008

Game Journal: The World Ends With You (Session 7)

THIS POST CONSISTS ENTIRELY OF GAMEPLAY AND STORY SPOILERS FOR THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

So I'm still not feelin' it. But I'm playing it anyway. I've completed week one. Shiki is alive again (I assume). And I have a new partner. This sucks because almost all the clothes I bought for Shiki had special properties that only worked for her. And she was pimped out. Between her level three regeneration earrings and super defense gear, nothing but bosses could really damage us. And even the final boss I didn't really have to bother dodging. But now I have to grind for gear again.

The new partner (Joshua) has a slightly different mechanic for powering up his special attack. I don't really pay attention to it, though. It kinda works anyway, just like Shiki's did.

There are new enemies, they're a little bit more aggressive. I'm getting the second highest ranking sometimes. I still don't care. I want the hard mode loot already.

I finally broke down and went to GameFAQs to learn how to get five yen pins (which I need to trade for some special items). They don't drop off of bad guys. I have to equip one yen pins, then turn the DS off. Once they get enough powered down XP, they'll evolve into five yen pins. Even worse, some of my combat pins only evolve with mingle XP. I have no one to mingle with. I still get "pity mingle" XP, but the 300 I've gotten so far hasn't been enough to evolve any of my combat pins that are supposed to need it.

The fact that I had to go to GameFAQs at all is kind of a letdown. Once I got used to it, I loved the games approach of bombarding me with information to sift. This pin evolving mechanic is more like a crappy adventure game where I have to try combining everything with everything else until something happens to do what I wanted.

All in all, the constant stimulation of the combat is about the only thing the game has going for it at this point. :(

No comments: