17 August, 2008

Game Journal: The World Ends With You (Session 6)

THIS POST CONSISTS ENTIRELY OF GAMEPLAY AND STORY SPOILERS FOR THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

What happened? The difficulty was ramping up! I was going to have to work really hard! There was a challenge I was going to rise to!

*POOF*

My technique improved only slightly, but the opposition just melted in front of me. I did not have a single fight where I got less than the highest possible rating. How disappointing. :P

In addition to the same useless combat pin, Rare Metal pins are now falling like crazy. Many shops have "quest items" that can't be bought with yen. They must be bought with other items. Many of them require some Rare Metal. They also often require other special items, so I'm not suddenly awash in special items. I am awash in the standard cheap crap I have to buy to get shopkeepers to unlock special abilities and offer me special items I can't buy.

The gear side of the game in general feels like a drain. It's just slow and dull. I go into a store. I buy everything. I click on it all again to see if the clerk will tell me what it does. I repeat until broke. The gear is a further burden after I leave the store. Every time I change zones I check my map to see if I need to changes clothes / pins, save my game, kill everything, go to next zone, repeat. At least that cycle has killing in it. :P

The shopping might not feel so lame if it wasn't mostly for clothes. There aren't many pins to buy, and the ones available are super expensive, have no brands (which means no extra damage in areas they're strong in), and can't evolve. It mostly feels pointless.

I haven't had any pins evolve in a while. I keep fighting in areas they're strong in, but it may be that since I got them to max level already, maybe they won't evolve. They kick enough butt already though. There was one cool pin I bought. It lets me throw cars around.

All in all, the game failed by not unlocking Hard Difficulty on Day 6.

The story also didn't move much. It turns out the thing Shiki lost to be in The Reaper Game was herself. She looks like her best friend Eri, who she was jealous of. It's all very meh. Hopefully things will pick up tomorrow.

No comments: