25 April, 2008

Keepalive: Cel Damage, PGR 2; Alien Shooter Vengeance

I played through Cel Damage, but I don't feel like writing a review. It's more of a crazy party game than a single player one. There are so many random elements to it that anyone can win any given race. Well, that's not entirely true. It would be easier if it was. But there are often split second decisions that can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (or vice versa). I consider Cel Damage a sort of meditation. Constant cheap deaths wear away the ego, leaving the mind clear for the twitchy bits.

I also spent some time with Project Gotham Racing 2, a game almost as far from Cel Damage as possible, despite the fact that they are both ostensibly driving games. PGR is a decently simulated racing game. The scoring rewards not only winning but winning with a certain amount of style. But, like most racing games, the early stages are boring compact car or economy sports car racing.

I'm not a big racing sim fan to begin with. Without being able to feel the forces involved, they lack the most important feedback mechanism of driving. Some games use the controller's rumble to let the player know when they're losing traction. If PGR2 is doing that, I can't tell. It seems to rumble constantly, like it's trying to let me feel the texture of the road. I don't care that cobblestones feel bumpy. I didn't buy a cobblestone game. I bought a racing game. It's doubly annoying because the rumble on the Xbox controller makes a high pitched whine that I find distracting. Oh well.

And last but not least, I'm playing through Alien Shooter Vengeance on GameTap. It's an isometric action game, somewhat similar to Shadowgrounds: Survivor. The graphics aren't as fancy, but it's got that classic mechanic of putting enough tantalizing loot and upgrades in front of me to keep me playing.

No comments: