16 March, 2008

Keepalive: BioShock Break, Fire Pro, Titan Quest; Forumwarz

So, in case you didn't read the spoilers, I'm not done with Bioshock, but I'm done with Bioshock. You know, for a couple days at least. I felt the point I stopped at was probably where the game should have ended. I've heard that the remainder of the game doesn't remotely live up to the promise of what I've played, and I want to remember the experience as it is. I'll probably go back to play more. But part of me doesn't want to.

In the meantime, I had some company over and we played some old arcade games (Smash TV, Xenophobe; Hard Drivin') and some Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. I enjoy Fire Pro on a very primal level. I must have exclaimed "I kicked that guy in the nuts" with absurd glee at least half a dozen times. I've heard it's actually a really well made wrestling game, but I doubt I'll ever know it deeply enough to tell as I'm not a fan of the genre. I may someday download the community made wrestler packs, featuring every wrestler ever, and a bunch of made up ones (like the folks from Nintendo Pro Wrestling). But I may not. It's already given me enough delight to justify the $8 I bought it for.

There's still Titan Quest to play, too. I've got some serious alt-itis. That's where I keep making up alternate characters to try the different classes. It takes less than a day to play a class to level ten or so and get a good feel for their abilities. My main (a sturdy defender) is getting near the point where I'm thinking about dual classing, so I want a feel for what other class would make a good mix. The rogue would give me lots of poison damage, so I could tag all my enemies with poison and let them expire. But that doesn't work on undead, and there's more than a few of them around. I looked at the nature character, but that's also a somewhat defensive class, plus my fantastic strength would be wasted. I'll probably go warrior, but I actually haven't gotten around to testing that class yet. The exploration continues.

Again, the gameplay of Titan Quest is still Diablo, i.e. it's mostly lame. But there's just the right combination of constant stimulation and interesting decisions to keep me moving through the game. One indie developer (Jonathan Blow) recently referred to this measured reward scheme as something akin to a digital drug, and the worst part of gaming. I see his point, but I'll keep playing as I mull over whether a boycott is in order.

I'm still plinking away with Forumwarz. The content is amusing, but there was a spell of grinding. I hate grinding. I'll keep plinking.

There was one other game I came back to, but that deserves its own post.

No comments: