28 February, 2008

Still Workin' On It

I've been downloading a bunch more Source mods and trying to gain ground in SWAT 4. That game is so nerve wracking that I can't play two levels in a row. I cleared three today, with breaks for game news, the latest Retronauts podcast, and food. From a pacing standpoint, I feel like a success. From a success standpoint, I feel like a failure. It takes a special game to make this...

feel like a failure, but SWAT 4 basically does. The fact is, you don't have enough eyes to watch all the entry points all the time, so you need your AIs. But they can't do the job, often running into a room when they just saw the guy in front of them get cut down by a baddie hiding behind the door, a baddie they personally saw because I had them use the optiwand to look under the door, just in case that could help the AI know where to look. Plus we threw in a flash bang, which apparently the door shielded the bad guy from. Sigh.

Regardless, my heart goes out to anyone who ever actually had to go out on a call like this. Of course, on any mission this crazy, it'd make national news, so I know there aren't many people who have, which is a good thing. This game is friggin' dark.

2 comments:

Salt Racer said...

98/100 and you feel like you failed ... that is a special game. I look forward to the review.

Blain Newport said...

If you look closely, you'll see the reason I missed those two points...