20 January, 2008

We Don't Need No Water



This is a test image from my latest project. The floor starts covered with cheesy looking pools of gasoline and a demon facing away from me. I fire, igniting the nearest pool and waking up the demon. He tries to run at me through the burning gasoline. He dies. Beautiful, really.

I learned some important lessons today. For some reason, giving my new DECORATE object (the pools of gasoline) an ID of 6000 meant it would never appear. Giving it an ID of 10000 (like the examples on the ZDoom Wiki use) worked fine. Nothing else is using the 6000 ID, as far as I know. And I made a spreadsheet of every ID on the wiki, so I should know. I found out about spawn numbers. (They only go to 255, with over 150 already in use, so stick with names.) I also learned that SkullTag is using a fairly old version of ZDoom, as one of the functions I used didn't work until I tried the deprecated (in other words, obsolete) version.

But enough shop talk. I have gas. Now I need to put it in a "gun".

I think I've got old school fever. I've also been thinking we need to play some Unreal Tournament (the original) at the next LAN party. The joy of assault and domination modes combined with the glory of the Lazy Matrix and Matrix Moves mods still satisfies like nothing else.

No comments: