27 December, 2007

Review: Lego Racers 2

Okay, so I'm basically GameTap slumming. Cope.

Gameplay
It's a kart racer where you can build the karts yourself. I don't know if it had to do with my turning off the "catch up" menu item, but the races were usually either super easy or pretty challenging. The easy races I expected, but I have to wonder if the other races would be frustrating for the game's target demographic. The races usually weren't hard because the AI of your opponents was any good. It was more because it's a weapon racer and unless you outdistance them quickly, you'll be sucking down homing rockets like nobody's business.

But just when I was annoyed to the point that I was going to shelve the game and do something else, I'd get to build a new kart for a new environment. I had my finmobile for the starting island, my rocket tank for the jungle, a spiffy hover sled for Mars, and my snow vehicle was super cool, thanks to some handrails that doubled as wings. And then, once my new kart was complete, I had to try it out. Despite the fact that the design has no real effect on the game, the fun of seeing my creations race kept me in the game until the end.

Theatrics
There's some guy you beat in the first game. Now you have to go to another planet and beat him again. It is amusing how kid friendly the game is. At one point you get an upgrade that falls off an opponents vehicle. You justify running off with it by saying you'll give it back when you're done with it. Nice one.

Aesthetics
Lego Star Wars, this ain't. Still, it does the job.

Final Score
3 of 5

Everybody dance now!
(These aren't thumbnails, so don't bother clicking on them.)

Is it a frog? Is it a bee? I don't know, but it's got fins and a stick shift, so it's awesome.

It's too bad my "rocket engines" didn't give this thing any extra speed. I thought they looked good and beefy.

Of course, that would make this vehicle unfairly fast. The more parts you put on, the more junk comes off when you get in wrecks. :)

This is my greatest creation. Those handrail wings are perfect, and the old school Lego car doors made cool fins. This thing should be flying through space. Winning.

Plus flags are the new fins.

I call this the Obsidian Peacock. I knew I wasn't going to surpass the snowmobile, so I didn't really try. Still, I like to think it has a certain quiet dignity.





































(Stupidian Peacock. :P )

No comments: